Carrollton Cosmetic Dentist Explains the Benefits of Tongue Scrapers
Tongue scrapers and cleaners are available for purchase at retailers across the country. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes. These tools are a great way to promote good oral hygiene, so check out the simple steps provied by your cosmetic dentist in Carrollton TX.
How is a Tongue Scraper or Cleaner Used?
It's simple to use a tongue scraper!
1. Rinse your scraper before use to remove any bacteria.
2. Start at the back of the tongue and work your way forward.
3. Scrape the entire top and sides of the tongue.
4. If you prefer to use a brush, move it in the same direction.
5. Rinse the scraper after use to ensure there is no food debris or bacteria left over.
6. Rinse your mouth.
Cleaning the tongue can help to keep the breath fresh. It;'s important to note that there is no evidence that this practice prevents or improves bad breath, but it is something that many people find to be a helpful practice. The bacteria that causes bad breath is capable of growing back as fast as it is removed.
If you find this practice to be helpful to you, it won’t do any harm. Going the extra mile in your dental care routine is always a good practice.
Maintaining a Healthy Mouth
In addition to using a tongue scraper or cleaner, there are proven practices that will aid the overall well-being of your mouth.
1. Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Some people find that using a battery or powered toothbrush is more effective for them.
2. Floss between your teeth at least once a day. Do this more often as needed to remove debris from between the teeth.
3. Watch your diet. Eat healthy snacks and meals while avoiding sugary beverages and treats. Be sure that you drink plenty of water throughout the day.
4. Visit Dr. Pfaffenberger twice a year for regular checkups. During this time you should also receive a cleaning and comprehensive evaluation for dental diseases.
If you have further concerns about the proper usage of a tongue cleaner or you need more instructions, be sure to speak with your cosmetic dentist in Carrollton. Call our office today at (972) 394-1611 to learn more or to schedule a visit.