Your Cosmetic Dentist in Carrollton TX Shares Everything You Wanted to Know about Dental X-Rays
Dental x-rays are images that your cosmetic dentist in Carrollton TX takes of your teeth to evaluate your oral health. They use low levels of radiation and can help to spot issues such as cavities, impacted teeth and decay. Here’s what you’ve always wanted to know about dental x-rays that you may not have known before with the help of Dr. Pfaffenberger.
Why Dental X-Rays Are Performed
Normally, your dentist will take x-rays yearly or more often if there is an issue. If you are a new patient, you will probably get a full set of x-rays so the dentist can determine what is needed. Children might need to have x-rays more often than adults as we observe the growth of their teeth.
Risks of Dental X-Rays
Dental x-rays do involve a small amount of radiation, but it's so low that it's considered safe for both adults and children. The risk is even lower when the dentist uses digital x-rays, which most offices utilize. You will be covered by a lead bib over vital parts of your body to prevent unnecessary radiation. If you are pregnant, it is advised that you avoid x-rays unless absolutely necessary.
Preparing for Dental X-Rays
Thankfully, there is no special preparation that you need to do. Just brush your teeth before the appointment to help create a hygienic environment for working in your mouth.
Types of X-Rays
There are several types of x-rays you might encounter:
· Bitewing - allows you to bite down on a special piece of paper to observe how well the crowns of your teeth match up.
· Occlusal - this is done when your jaw is closed to observe how your upper and bottom teeth line up.
· Palatal - takes a picture of all of your teeth in one shot.
· Panoramic - the machine will rotate around your head while checking your wisdom teeth, implanted dental devices, or investigate any jaw conditions.
· Periapical - observes two complete teeth from root to crown.
· Extraoral - looks in areas outside of the gums and teeth, such as the jaw.
Dr. Pfaffenberger has your best interests at heart and will only perform x-rays that are necessary for your optimal dental health. If you have further questions or concerns about the x-rays you are having done, be sure to ask us during your visit. To schedule your appointment for a routine cleaning or consultation, call your cosmetic dentist in Carollton TX today at (972) 394-1611.